[TriLUG] Odd Network problem

Greg Cox glcox at pobox.com
Sun Feb 13 01:33:07 EST 2005

> Starting this morning, it has been randomly unable to ping various boxes on
> our network.  That is, until you ping the nagios server from the "unpingable"
> server.   Then Nagios can ping that server all it wants.

Architecture/OS of culprit boxes, nonculprits (are there any?), nagios server?

How long from remotebox pinging nagiosbox until it reoccurs (or does that
fix it for good)?

Version of nagios and plugins?  When it's in a failure, does hand-pinging
fail, same as calling (guessing) /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_ping etc?

Everything on the same switch?  Model of switch?