[TriLUG] Dumb Question: Terminal Beep Command

Shane O'Donnell shaneo at nc.rr.com
Tue Feb 15 16:29:30 EST 2005

Script it and alias the script?

-----Original Message-----
From: trilug-bounces at trilug.org [mailto:trilug-bounces at trilug.org] On Behalf
Of Brian Henning
Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 4:24 PM
To: TriLUG
Subject: [TriLUG] Dumb Question: Terminal Beep Command

Hi Guys,
   Back in the days of DOS, there was a really cool shell command,
"BEEP."  Amazingly, execution of said command caused a terminal beep.  I
am looking for exactly that function in a bash shell, but for some
reason it is eluding me.

Ooh, here we go:  From the bash manpage: $'\a' results in an alert, or
bell.  So my question becomes, is there a preexisting shell command that
will accomplish "echo $'\a'" in less than half the number of keystrokes,
and doesn't result in a line-feed in the terminal?

Thanks!
~Brian