[TriLUG] How not to run a network

Marc M linuxr at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 21:20:03 EST 2005

Hi,

I got this message on my email account for a university.  This is the
account that I had when I was working there over a month ago, which is
STILL OPEN!  (no security holes there).  In a normal network
environment, user accounts of ex-employees, would be INSTANTLY deleted
for security reasons.  At this particular organization, *EVERYTHING*
is blamed on viruses (virii ?).   Maybe they keep email accounts open
for weeks afterwards, to keep viruses around, and to promote system
compromises?  This ensures job security, right?  (just stay one step
BEHIND the viruses is the theory)...

Why is this relevant?  Are you sitting down?  It is getting to the
point where viruses are even blamed on Linux!  A 'sysadmin' I knew,
didn't want Linux because he was afraid of viruses.  I look at that
like saying that you are afraid of AIDS so therefore you oppose all
abstinence or committed monogomous relationships.

I find it really kinda oddly comical that everything is so hopelessly
debilitated by the virus scene.  One would *think* that this would
lead to an open minded attitude toward exploring some technological
alternatives.  But that is assuming that anyone cares about fixing the
problem, instead of just perpetuating it!

<don't make that false assumption>

The reasons this is so important:

1.  Environments that are all-windows, often are run by people who
don't know a kernel from Colonel Sanders, a shell from the thing that
washes up on the beach.  VERY status quo.  People don't want to learn
anything new, since that would require effort.  After all, computers
'just' have viruses, right?  I mean, they all have a START button on
the bottom left corner, right?   You know the type, and unfortunately
many of them are in jobs and lines of work that otherwise require
knowledge and ability, if not for the technological backwardness.

2.  People like the sysadmin or #1, use viruses to explain things to
people that they don't understand.  I have heard people use it as an
excuse regarding network connectivity, monitor flicker, user
error/training, ODBC issues, browser variability, etc.  What's next?
The War On Terror?  Is OBL inserting javascript into my keyboard as I
type?  Alquaeda planted gifs that explode when I hover over them?
What about the Tsunami?  Can we blame that on viruses too?

In an effort to educate the dumb masses (say 10x fast), let us as a
community, embrace the concept of 'virus education' or better yet,
'end user education' or 'middle manager education'.

I for one am tired of having to defend linux against claims that are
basically some sort of strange voodoo delusions at best, and lies and
unscientific claims at worst.  These people know what they are doing.
The proprietary people are succeeding to a certain extent in fooling
some of the dumber managers and other office worker types, into
believing that viruses are somehow linked to 'untrusted software'
which is linked to the FOSS movement.   Muddying the water as they go,
then lecturing us about how dangerous the internet is, how dangerous
it is to download anything, how dangerous it is to *think for
ourselves*...

Would any of you be on board with the idea of something like a 'Virus
Education Project'?  We could cite case studies that specifically
dispel myths.  It could closely parallel a 'Treacherous Computing'
Educational Project as well.  Truth in computing, anyone?

Cheers
Marc