[TriLUG] How not to run a network

William Sutton william at trilug.org
Wed Feb 16 07:22:38 EST 2005

Well, while I certainly agree with you on the subject of hardcoding
username/password in code (particularly code that is in CVS (and what a
fight we have had to get people to use CVS!)), I unfortunately have to say
that the state of the IT procedures is rather stone-aged.  On the servers
we use (inside the corporate network), telnet and rsh are the options...no
ssh.  Most of the ftp servers belong to external customers, over which we
have no control.  The customer wants us to ftp the report, so that's what
we do.

It was in fact stated at the highest level of UNIX administration that
LDAP+SSH was not secure enough as currently designed and would bear
further review if it was to be used (someone please explain that to me) on
a CVS server, with the option of pserver being held up as the preferred
way to do things!

**shaking head**

I could go on at further length but all it would be is griping :)

William