[TriLUG] How not to run a network

Christopher L Merrill chris at webperformanceinc.com
Wed Feb 16 10:38:08 EST 2005

William Sutton wrote:
> In other words, it puts a crimp in my ability to do my job and doesn't (as
> far as I can analyze the situation) do anything beyond stop Outlook from
> being stupid.  Frankly that's not a sufficient reason to me.

Actually, it does a LOT more than that.  It stops _people_ from doing
something stupid.  Most users will not think to rename hello.dat to
hello.exe and then try to run it.  Frankly, most users don't even
know how.  Coincidentally, those are the same ones that are _most_
likely to double-click the darn thing in the first place.  While it
is certainly not a stop-all type of security...in practice it is very
effective.

Chris Merrill                  |  http://www.webperformanceinc.com
Web Performance Inc.

Website Load Testing and Stress Testing Software