[TriLUG] Lotus Notes

Mike Johnson mike at enoch.org
Thu Feb 17 19:43:16 EST 2005

John Turner wrote:
> Sure. I am willing to make a guess based on a different OS. I just need
> to know the user base (or concurrent users) and hardware that is being
> used.
>
> I have heard number from docs like 300 concurrent users/per server (dual
> 3G P4) and also from user 6000 users on a quad processor box.

Sorry for the late reply, but I only today got a response from one of
our Domino admins.  We're rolling out quad xeon 3GHz (hyperthreaded)
systems with 8GB of RAM to handle 1500 users.  This is on Windows, so
you might have better luck, but 6000 looks to be aiming a bit high.
That 1500 user count came from having discussions with IBM who said not
go go higher than that on a single system (though we evidently have one
box floating around with between 2000 and 2500 users).

He did say that Domino is much more memory bound than CPU bound.  The
more RAM, the better.

Hope it helps,
Mike