[TriLUG] QEMU Accelerator Achieves Near-Native Performance

Sarat slinuxgeek at gmail.com
Sat Feb 19 14:30:57 EST 2005

Since we had discussed about QEMU at our last meet, thought this would
be interesting if anyone missed the Slashdot article

Quoting the article on Slashdot
"QEMU is a generic and open source processor emulator which achieves a
good emulation speed by using dynamic translation. Its sporting a new
module called the 'Accelerator' which can achieve near native speeds,
and currently runs on Linux 2.4.x and 2.6.x kernels. This means you
could theoretically run Windows (or another OS) on a Linux machine at
near native speeds without buying a commercial emulator. The catch is
that although QEMU is released under various open source licenses, the
Accelerator uses a free (as in beer) license because the module is a
'closed source proprietary product.' Fabrice Bellard does mention that
he would consider open sourcing the Accelerator under certain
conditions."