[TriLUG] Continued OT: Coax and etc.

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Mon Feb 21 13:25:57 EST 2005

> ... The antennas are usually quarter-wave
> whips, so, you MUST mount them on some sort of largish metallic object, with
> spacing such that at least one 1/4 wave (roughly the length of the antenna)
> surrounds the mounting point of each antenna.

Really?  Are you saying that I should have the antennas a
quarter-wavelength away from the wall?  Or do you mean separation
between the two whips?  The former would make them *really* prominent..
  And it seems that the design of the receiver, when using them directly
mounted to it, wouldn't have them that far away from *anything*
(especially if it were rack-mounted along with other gear)..  Also
possibly adding to the useful information is that the building is
stick-built, so there's no aluminum studs or anything to act like big
reflectors.  Just a big metal-frame window.  Anyhow, they are indeed
probably 1/4-wave (didn't measure, but looks right) with a 90-degree
bend into the BNC connector...I was hoping to just be able to get a
couple panel-mount BNC females to affix to the wall..

Thanks for the wisdom!

~Brian