[TriLUG] Red Hat "like" Distro

Brent Verner brent at rcfile.org
Mon Feb 21 13:40:43 EST 2005

[2005-02-21 12:47] H. Crissman said:
| On Monday 21 February 2005 11:07 am, johnm wrote:
| > H. Crissman wrote:
| > >Isn't there a couple Red Hat "like" distros out there?
| >
| >    See:  http://www.centos.org/
| > However, one must note that CentOS can not say they are derived from
| > R*dH*t or 10,000 lawyers will descend on them once again.
| >
| > john mitchell
| I think this is who I was thinking about. They are basically an exact copy of
| Red Hat, less any proprietary RH code. Is that correct?

| How are they recieving the wrath of 10,000 lawyers and not White Box Linux?

	Don't propagate this negative attitude toward Redhat.  Please
read the actual message sent to the CentOS team (if you haven't
already).

  http://www.centos.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=66

	Making statements like "the wrath of 10,000 lawyers," only says
to me that a) you haven't read the actual message or b) you have
some axe to grind with Redhat.  If it's the second one, you've
stumbled onto the wrong list.  _Every_ linux user benefits from
Redhat's past and present involvement in linux's development.
I benefit(ted) as a debian user for a *long, long* time.  Heck,
even my little FBSD box is probably happier that Redhat is
paying someone to flow a little code!  The bottom line is that
Redhat hat was, and still is, the best steward of Free Software
that we have.  If not, please name one better.  Sure, IBM is
swinging a big one around, and I absolutely love everything
they are doing for Linux and Open Source, $diety knows I love
my eclipse, but I don't think they support[1] as much Free
Software as Redhat.

Happy Monday!

[1] s,"support\[1\]","pay salaries to develop/maintain",