[TriLUG] Red Hat "like" Distro

James Brigman jbrigman at nc.rr.com
Mon Feb 21 13:43:08 EST 2005

H. Crissman wrote:

>Isn't there a couple Red Hat "like" distros out there? I can't remember which
>one is the most popular(ie. has the largest user base/community). I know
>Whitebox Linux. But that is the only one I can remember.
>
>Thanks,
>
>H. Crissman

H, et. al;

CentOS 4RC1 (www.centos.org)  is "child of whitebox". A source code
recompilation of RHEL 4.  As I understand it, the guy who did White Box
has joined up with the cAos team to produce CentOS. This weekend, I
spent some time upgrading a couple of my older Red Hat 9.0 boxes to
CentOS. I'm happy with the results, and it gives me a "Red Hat Sandbox"
I can use at home to do highly destructive or risky things with.

I also used bittorrent for the first time to download it. Got the five
ISO images in about 40 minutes...Bittorrent rocks!

To be fair: CentOS is not "RedHat Like": it IS Red Hat source code
recompiled...so it should work the same, warts and all.

JKB