[TriLUG] Read-Only file systems under KNOPPIX

Robert Ryals rryals at tmio.com
Tue Feb 22 14:59:27 EST 2005

Jeff Groves wrote:

> I'm trying to delete malware files from a Windows XP machine by
> booting from a Knoppix CD, then mounting the NTFS file system as RW,
> and then tooling down to the directory where the file lives to delete it.
>
> Problem is that no matter what I put in /etc/fstab, the file system is
> still mounted read-only and I am not allowed to remove the file.
>
> This is probably an easy fix, but neither my intuition or my STFW
> abilities has come up with an answer.

I think due to some NTFS licensing restrictions Knoppix can only mount
it RO by default.  I think you have to copy some .sys file from your
windows installation somewhere to get it mounted RW (sorry about the
lack of detail here).  That being said everything I have seen about
writing to NTFS partitions from Linux warns that it is experimental and
you could render your NTFS partition unusable.

Robert