Attack Detection tools, was: RE: [TriLUG] attack

Brian Henning lugmail at cheetah.dynip.com
Tue Feb 22 22:47:43 EST 2005

This makes me stop and think...

Although I've noticed absolutely no strange behavior from my server, heaven
knows it's probably a wonderful candidate for being rooted..  It's running a
pretty old version of Linux, and I know that the ipchains are at least
partially broken (hopefully broken-safe rather than broken-wide-open, but
exactly---"hopefully"), and hasn't been updated in ages..  And it's directly
connected to the Internet (it IS the firewall).

So with that in mind, what are people's favorite tools to use to detect
intrusion?  I've heard of "rootkit detection tools" but know shamefully
little about them, so I'm very interested in folks' suggestions.

As I already mentioned, I've no particular reason to believe I HAVE been
hacked..  but no particular reason to feel secure that I HAVEN'T, either...

Cheers,
~Brian