[TriLUG] Linux Professional Institute Certification Study Group?

Matt Pusateri mpusateri at wickedtrails.com
Wed Feb 23 08:48:00 EST 2005

On Wed, February 23, 2005 2:07 am, Joel Ebel said:
> I would be interested in this.  I've been meaning to do it for some
> time.  Finding the time to do it may be a challenge, but nonetheless,
> the interest is there.
>
> Joel
>
> David B. Rankin wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> I am attempting to self study for the LPIC (Linux Professional
>> Institute
>> Certification) Level 1 and Level 2 and was hoping that some others
>> in
>> TriLUG might be interested in starting a formal or informal, virtual
>> or
>> brick and mortar study group on this topic. Anybody interested? I'm
>> thinking we can work out the details after we see how many people
>> are
>> interested.
>>
>> For more information about the LPI go to
>> http://www.lpi.org/en/home.html.

I may be interested, but the question I have to ask is: Does anyone
care if I have an LPI certification.  And by anyone I mean the
business/hiring world, not the world in general.  I pretty sure the
world as a whole does not care what certifications I may have
achieved.

Or put another way, Is the LPI certification respected by the IT
community as a whole?  How many job descriptions require it?  How many
employers really even know what it is?

Why should I spend my time, energy and money chasing a certification
that may not advance my career?

Thanks,

Matt