[TriLUG] Linux Professional Institute Certification Study Group?

Matt Pusateri mpusateri at wickedtrails.com
Wed Feb 23 09:54:57 EST 2005

On Wed, February 23, 2005 9:30 am, James Brigman said:
s really even know what it is?

>>Why should I spend my time, energy and money chasing a certification
>>that may not advance my career?
>>

> At one job interview, I was literally shown the door once because I
> don't have any certs. Heck, these people wanted me to have the A+, one
> of the easiest possible certs.  I guess it didn't help when I told 'em
> "certs are just a way for bartenders to get sys admin jobs". :-) So, I
> can chalk up at least one lost job opportunity to not having a cert.
> Wish I had an RHCE. I'd sit for the RHCE cert TODAY if I had the cash!

Ok,

1. Why did they bother setting up a personal interview if you resume
didn't show the certs they were looking for, if they were going to
show the your the door with out them.  Probably a blessing in
disguise.  Do you really want to go to work for such a company?

2. I realize that certifications allow non-technical personnel such as
HR and mid-level managers to evaluate potential candidates. But I also
believe a good manager/HR person should be able to recognize the
qualifications from a candidate by their resume regardless of what
certifications they have.  Shame on you if your resume doesn't reflect
what you know.  Although your bartender comment is in some cases very
accurate.  Their are a lot of people out there who can take tests and
find the answers on the internet, but don't know the first thing about
running a network.  My predecessor was proof of that.  Our network was
in sad disarray when I got here(we didn't even have a firewall), but
he had his MSCE.

3. Yes RHCE is more recognized.  The very point of my question.  Is
LPI recognized to the point it is worth achieving?

Matt