[TriLUG] Re: Linux Professional Institute Certification Study Group?

Craig Cook craig at cookitservices.com
Wed Feb 23 12:44:12 EST 2005

My 2c...

As someone who has Solaris, Novell and M$ certification I see the value in it
(I used self study options for everything).

Yes, it helps getting past the HR manager.  It also gives your employer more
confidence in you.
I know people with many years experience, but don't know how to do much.

Having said that, I don't place much value in M$ certs, too many "paper
MCSE's" exist.

The Solaris exam is tough and worth doing if you are into that.

As for linux, the only cert I have seen being asked for is RHCE.
  From what I have heard and seen the Red Hat exam is tough, therefore worth
doing.

As for people putting false things on their resume, I've been surprised when
employers comment that I haven't "enhanced" mine when they question me.  It
must be a common practice.

Given two candidates that are similar, one with (valued) certs should be
slightly in front.

Doing certs is a great way to gain training.  Rather than just installing and
playing with something, you will be forced to learn a wide range of things.
Having LPI certification will certainly be better than nothing.

A statement like "I have used and supported my linux desktop for the last 2
years" does not mean anything.  "I have LPI certfication" does.

Craig Cook
--
Big Brother Consulting and Training Services
www.cookitservices.com