[TriLUG] attack

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 15:28:18 EST 2005

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 12:16:02 -0500, Matt Frye <mattfrye at gmail.com> wrote:

> If you need help securing it, try Bastille.  It will help you button
> things up.  Until then, unplug from the Internet.
> http://www.bastille-linux.org/

Hmmm, interesting choice of name.  As I remember my French history,
the Bastille's claim to fame was that it fell to a denial of service
attack by the rabble of Paris. Now there's nothing left but a memorial
column in the square where it once stood.

On a more serious note, I'd like to point out that the latest issue of
Cisco's "Internet Protocol Journal", which came in yesterday's mail
has a feature article on DOS and DDOS attacks.

It's on line at http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/759/ipj_issues.html
It's the December 2004 issue but it is the latest.

The Internet Protocol Journal is an interesting quarterly which might
be of interest to other Triluger's who aren't aware of it.  It's
available on-line, and also by free (as in beer) mail subscription.