[TriLUG] OT: password generation

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 19:52:04 EST 2005

There are opposing forces in what constitutes a good password.

On the one hand you want a password which is hard for someone to guess
at or stumble upon.

On the other hand you want a password which the user can remember
WITHOUT writing it down or putting it into a file.

Randomly generated passwords tend to be good at the first test, but
bad at the second.  Some random password generators come up with two
random words and tie they together, these might be easier to remember
but not as secure.

Passphrases like GPG/PGP uses are pretty good as long as you are a
fairly good typist. Of course many password rules checks disallow such
long passwords and require at least one number etc.

One of the better suggestions I've come across for developing a good
password was to think of a easily remembered phrase and use the first
letter of each word.  Like

mmtmybsa

I can remember "my momma told me you better shop around", and no, I
don't use mmtmybsa for any of my passwords.  If you have to include
digits you can use l33t1st tricks to introduce them, I might just
change the above to m3mtmybs4