[TriLUG] What Device is my Sound Card?

Randall Barlow rpbarlow at eos.ncsu.edu
Wed Feb 23 17:24:27 EST 2005

Hi,

    I'm trying to get MATLAB to use my sound card, but it is always
telling me that I have no sound device.  However, I can use XMMS so I
know I have sound.  How do I find out which device in /dev is my sound
card?  MATLAB is trying to use /dev/audio, but it isn't working, so I
don't think that is it.  Under /dev/sound I've got a lot of things
listed: audio  dsp  dsp1  dspW  midi  midi1  mixer  sequencer
sequencer2.  I've tried a few of these in the MATLAB script - they
either make really messed up sounding noises when I try to play a wav
file or they give me the same error as before.  Any ideas?

Randy Barlow