[TriLUG] OT: password generation

Mike Johnson mike at enoch.org
Thu Feb 24 12:38:37 EST 2005

Mack.Joseph at epamail.epa.gov wrote:

> I've had the same 4 digit PIN on my ATM card for about 20yrs and my
> account hasn't been cracked yet.

Not a fair comparison.  ATM authentication is two factor: something you
have (your ATM card) and something you know (your PIN).  Passwords are
single factor: something you know.  Two factor authentication for system
login would lessen the complexity requirements for passwords.  For
instance, if your system required a fingerprint scan and a PIN number,
said PIN number could be four digits and you'd be fine.  This is also
two factor: something you are and something you know.

Two factor authentication is -much- stronger than sinble factor and
generally much easier for users to deal with.  However, it costs more.

Mike