[TriLUG] Sat. Installfest

James Brigman jbrigman at nc.rr.com
Tue Mar 1 00:50:59 EST 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-28 at 23:07 -0500, Jason Tower wrote:
> true, this event was a bit of a rush job.  not much notice was given,
> and that doesn't help turnout.  i plead guilty to not doing a better
> job handling this.

Jason...no apology needed, man, you were bringing home the bacon that weekend,
and everyone else needs to know that too. Given that you are a freelancer/self employed,
you didn't step on anyone's jesus here. Family/job always comes first.

Ian: you beat me with your message by just a few moments (I accidentally re-sent a message with no edits -
my apologies to the list, my machine is one of those Dell's with the bad touchpad.). Please don't read the
comments of the few as the sentiments of the many. I, and the rest of the TriLUGers were glad to be there.

The event had special meaning for me since I'm an NCSU alumnus, and my personal motivation for being there was
to maintain some kind of connection to the NCSU student body. I did not feel, in the least, that there
was anything bad about this installfest, and I learned much from the students there who I met and spoke to. I
am intrigued by the Linux work going on at NCSU and regard NCSU's participation in the Linux effort
overall with great pride. TriLUG's lack of involvement did NOT make the event a failure, and it was clear to
anyone who attended that you guys already had things under control and rolling.

Everyone who WAS there from TriLUG did OK. So this was a small installfest. No big deal. Room G108 in Harrelson
is a small, well equipped room, ideal for exactly the kind of 'fest this turned into. They had plenty of cables,
plenty of machines, and yes, Kevin did a fine job, but they were pulling their own images from another server
on campus also - the NCSULUG folks weren't helpless without us. Harrelson G108 is fantastic digs and I felt
fortunate to be there with you guys. I am sure that everyone else from TriLUG who attended feels the same way!

JKB