[TriLUG] Comments on "IBM Certified Used" equipment?

Tom Bryan tbryan at python.net
Tue Mar 1 06:12:16 EST 2005

On Tuesday 01 March 2005 05:48 am, Jim Ray wrote:
> > Any comments on the wisdom of buying IBM Certified Used equipment?
> > Specifically, a couple of P4-grade PC's (NetVista).  How used is it
> > likely to be? This is definitely not mission-critical, but would like it
> > to be reasonably reliable.
>
> [JR>] my StinkPad has worked flawlessly for a year and running.  I'd do it
> all over again when the need arises and had paid $1250 used for something
> that would have cost me $2500 new at the time.

+1, me too.  Love my refurb T23 laptop.

I have only third hand information on how used it could be.  Apparently, a lot
of the used/refurb stuff is returns of leased machines from businesses.  The
hardware may have been actively used for a year or two.  Others may have been
sent to a customer account but never really used.  In any case, I imagine
that IBM wouldn't send you a PC with sticky keys or something stupid and easy
for them to fix/replace/refurb.  But, yeah, the hard drive may have already
used a year or two of its life, etc.  Just be sure that the you know the
specs and that you'll be ready/able to replace/upgrade as needed.

---Tom