[TriLUG] Minimum usable laptop memory for linux

Mark Freeze mfreeze at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 08:49:08 EST 2005

The problem that I am having with older hardware is the relatively low
cost of new hardware.

I have a Gateway P3-900 laptop with 64MB RAM and a 10GB HD that I was
considering formatting with Linux for my wife to use. She would only
web browse and use email. The battery needs replacing and if I want to
use the machine to its fullest I'd need to add a wireless card.

Performing these upgrades (wireless, new hd, battery, ram upgrade)
would be at least $300 at the cheapest ebay prices.

So my question is this:  If I do these upgrades is the system still
going to struggle to run things?  Would it be better to bite the
bullet and purchase a new Dell notebook with no O/S for about $500? Am
I just throwing money away on a system that wont be that great even
after the upgrades?

Any thoughts?

Regards,
Mark.