[TriLUG] OT: Earthlink Tech Support

Christopher L Merrill chris at webperformanceinc.com
Wed Mar 2 10:45:32 EST 2005

Michael Thompson wrote:
> I'm not an AOL user, but I would
> not do business with someone who intentionally insults potential
> customers.

Maybe you've missed the point.  Anybody insulted by that statement
is not a potential customer.  They don't want them (you?).  They want
people who laugh at AOL users (me, for instance).

> issue, or to report a service outage.  At $9.95 a month they are not
> even competitive with some of the "other" national brands who do offer
 > tech support (might not be good tech support, but might be better than

Considering that includes a 10M website that you can point your own
domain at...it's not bad, actually.  Also provides newsgroups through
Supernews.  Never heard of the Postini spam-filter, though.

At least some of those other "national" $8/mo systems infect your system
with spyware and access-control programs that overwhelm you with
advertising and popups.  No thanks.

I'd say they have a very clearly targeted market - and don't care
about the rest.  All-in-all, maybe a better strategy than those who
try to sell a one-size-fits-all service for everybody.

Chris Merrill                  |  http://www.webperformanceinc.com
Web Performance Inc.

Website Load Testing and Stress Testing Software