[TriLUG] Changing Red Hat security settings

John Berninger johnw at berningeronline.net
Wed Mar 2 14:37:56 EST 2005

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005, William Sutton wrote:

> I have a Red Hat ES 2.1 server that I set up some time in distant memory
> (say 6 months ago).  When I set it up, I believe did the good admin policy
> of saying "no ftp".  Now it seems I need an ftp server on the system.
> I've (attempted to) install the rpms that came with the CDs (wu-ftpd?
> Even my RH9 system at home has vsftpd), but it doesn't seem to take.
>
> Questions:
> 1.  Is this a security setting (I think so, but want to confirm)?
        Possible ; more below.

> 2.  If this is a security setting, how do I go about changing it?  What
> I've found via google says "redhat-config-security*", but neither the
> system nor its CD isos (which I kindly left on the hard disk for later
> usage) appear to have such a command (and rpmfind.net doesn't list any for
> ES 2.1)).
        RHEL 2.1 is based on RHL 7.2, so if you want vsftpd, you'd
likely have to roll your own.

> 3.  Not related directly:  Which is preferable?  vsftpd or wu-ftpd?  If
> vsftpd, where can I get an rpm that will work on ES 2.1?
        vsftpd is way more secure, but <support drone>it's not supported
on RHEL 2.1</drone>.

        Your best bet is to make sure the package is installed by
running an "rpm -q <pkg>".  Then make sure it's set to start -
"chkconfig --list <service>".  Then make sure it's started - "service
<service> status" and if not start it - "service <service> start".  If
it's started and you can't connect, check your firewall settings -
"iptables -L" and/or "ipchains -L".

--
John Berninger

GPG Key ID: A8C1D45C
        Fingerprint: B1BB 90CB 5314 3113 CF22  66AE 822D 42A8 A8C1 D45C

Ita erat quando hic adveni.