[TriLUG] custom knoppix

gregbrown at mindspring.com gregbrown at mindspring.com
Thu Mar 3 10:24:30 EST 2005

Has anyone created a custom knoppix ISO?  I read the how-to webpage some time ago, but I am curious what anyone's actual experiences were.  I would like to create a Knoppix that boots and automatically launches Firefox (already configured with as many plug-ins as possible) and that's ALL I want on the ISO.

The idea is I can send a CD to my parents (maybe even a mini-cd?) that they can pop into their home PC, boot up, and proceed to join the world of on-line eCommerce.  They use M$, and steadfastly refuse to move off that platform for their daily use, but I have finally installed enough fear into them that they want an alternative when purchasing items on-line.  Other then a Linux laptop, which is too expensive, the only other alternative I could come up with was Knoppix, which is too technically complicated for them in it's stock form (if it's not simple and doesn't work easily the first time they won't use it).

So, in the end, absolute nirvana would be the following:

1. boot knoppix with iptables running and blocking ALL inbound traffic with SYN flag
2. knoppix boots and brings up Knoppix -> the home page has a big button that says "REBOOT"
3. parents could merrily surf away and, when done, click the "home" icon
4. start page comes back up with the "REBOOT" button
5. parents click REBOOT button which runs "init 6" in the background
6. PC barfs out the Knoppix CD, parents rejoin the M$ world

Is the "REBOOT" button possible?  Does something like this already exist?

Greg