[TriLUG] SLES9

James Brigman jbrigman at nc.rr.com
Thu Mar 3 17:44:36 EST 2005

John - SLES9 was released last Thanksgiving. However, even though I was
doing a head-to-head comparison to RHEL3 (3, not 4) and talking to
Novell's field engineering and marketing people, I was never able to get
ISO images of the new release. The kept getting "lost in the mail". I
have yet to see actual, in the flesh SLES9. It wouldn't surprise me if
there were some kind of problem during/after the release that made SuSE
softpedal it.

As a side note, SLES9 is not to be confused with SuSE Pro 9.2, which has
been on the shelves at CompUSA and available from your favorite distro
distributor for many moons. I have run SLES Pro since 8.0 and have found
it a very satisfying and complete distro. SuSE enrichens the KDE desktop
in very real and positive ways that enhance the usefulness and
performance of the distribution, making it look very good. Sax breaks
sometimes, but you can fix that by running Xconfig. - JKB