[TriLUG] named.conf

Steve Hoffman srhoffman at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 10:30:40 EST 2005

This is a question for all the bind experts out there.

I have a working installation of bind that handles roughly 200
domains.  with every restart of named /var/log/messages grows by
nearly 500 lines...not a big deal, but makes reading the logs a pain
in the butt.  I'd like to send the named logs to /var/log/named
instead but haven't been able to do it yet.  I've RTFM and googled
quite a bit, but neither has helped

I've done this two ways...

the syslog way:
logging {
    channel default_syslog {
        syslog local1;
        severity info;
    };
};
and I added a corresponding entry in /etc/syslog.conf for local1
pointing to /var/log/named, created that file and set perms and
finally restarted syslog and named.

The other way I tried was:

logging {
    channel logfile {
        file "/var/log/named";
    };
};

but neither worked...each time all the messages went to
/var/log/messages and with all the restarts...it's huge!  Am I even
close?

Any help greatly appreciated.

TIA
Steve