[TriLUG] Throttling SFTP bandwidth

Christopher L Merrill chris at webperformanceinc.com
Mon Mar 7 13:30:25 EST 2005

Jon Carnes wrote:
> The "tc" commands are a bit intimidating when you first look at them,
> but they are very handy to know.

Fantastic, Jon!  That worked great (once I corrected my typos...).
My upload is now proceeding at a leisurely 12k/sec and not disturbing
the 'net access for anyone else.

For anyone else listening in...I'll add that this command:
   tc qdisc del dev eth0 root
will undo the changes and revert to normal operation.  At least,
according to the docs I found and the article that Jon quoted.
I think that will remove the applied rules - i.e. clean up the
mess I created.

My only remaining question is: Are these changes permanent?
Or do they return to normal on reboot or logout?  (Alas..."No
manual entry for tc" on this machine)

> <perhaps this would make a good mini-clinic?>

I think you just did that  ;)

Thanks again!
Chris

Chris Merrill                  |  http://www.webperformanceinc.com
Web Performance Inc.

Website Load Testing and Stress Testing Software