[TriLUG] Cisco PIX 515

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Tue Mar 8 14:12:09 EST 2005

Steve Hoffman wrote:

>OK, can somebody please explain to me why Cisco makes it so hard to
>get software upgrades?  I have no desire to purchase $3500 worth of
>hardware to get a simple software update that cisco swears is
>available from any "partner".  Yet I call all their partners with the
>cisco part number and they tell me it doesn't exist...that I need the
>515E...
>
>Can anybody get their hands on SF-PIX-515-6.3 or know how I can
>legally get it?  We have the restricted version (so no failover) if
>that helps.  We're not averse to paying for it, but in time alone I've
>probably pissed away the cost to purchase.
>

>Thanks,
>Steve

I actually have access to the files directly from Cisco, but due to
licensing and other issues I can't just send you the file, or host it
some where for you to download.

But... the file you actually need is called pix634.bin.  A quick google
for pix634.bin turns up numerous links such as this one:
http://www.frontier.net/~cewatts/ which was listed 2nd on a google
search.  I pulled down pix634.bin from both that site and Cisco, and
diff says that they are identical.

Happy upgrading!

Aaron S. Joyner