[TriLUG] Problem with X on laptop

CT cthildreth at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 00:49:11 EST 2005

I'm having a problem with X on my Sony Vaio 505tr laptop.  A couple
weeks ago my laptop was unplugged and due to the lack of a battery it
abruptly powered down.  I restarted and attempted to start X as I
normally do but I just got a black screen.  My root window is black so
perhaps it loaded at least to that point.  But I got no cursor and the
keyboard was unresponsive (ctrl-alt-backspace, num lock, etc.)

I can't figure out why it just suddenly broke, but I assume it had
something to do with the abrupt shutdown.  For now I'm using the vesa
driver rather than neomagic.  It atleast works unless I try to play
video or leave the computer idle for while, in which case X crashes.
Periodically during the past couple weeks I've tried to reinstate the
neomagic driver and I meet the same result, which ends in me having to
SSH in and kill X.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

CT