[TriLUG] Roll your own RSS reader

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Wed Mar 9 12:56:36 EST 2005

Hi List,
   I've just recently upgraded my cellular service to one that actually
functions nearly fully in all the areas I typically inhabit (yay!), so
now I'm looking to make the most of my newfound (or rather, newly
recovered) connectivity.  Namely, I'd like to be able to subscribe to an
RSS feed and have its updates sent to me via SMS.

This ought to be simple.  All I need is a reader that can send the
updates to an e-mail address.  I just don't know beans about RSS.

There's a web site, I forget the address, that offers this sort of thing
as a paid-for service (something about SMS network fees), but I don't
want to pay for something I can rig for free.

So how difficult would it be to build something like this?  It seems to
me that it's really, in principle, little more than a repeater.  "Listen
to this, and when something happens, send it here."  Are there already
projects to do just that?  Anyone working on just such a thing?

I know this is a particularly open-ended question, and so I welcome all
sorts of comments, and I thank you all for your input.

Cheers,
~Brian