[TriLUG] Re: safest way to revert to a previous package

Lance A. Brown lance at bearcircle.net
Wed Mar 9 17:11:40 EST 2005

Blackburn, Marvin wrote:
> When I try to install using rpm -ihv --oldpackage <filename>
> I get the following:
>
> file /sbin/rpc.statd from install of nfs-utils-1.0.6-31EL conflicts with
> file from package nfs-utils-1.0.6-33EL
>
> When I try to do an rpm -e this is what I get:
> error: Failed dependencies:
>         nfs-utils is needed by (installed) redhat-config-nfs-1.0.13-6
>
> What are my alternative here?

rpm -Uvh --oldpackage nfs-utils-1.0.6-31EL

-U is 'upgrade' and replaces the previous version of the package.
-i is 'install' and will try to just install the package resulting in BOTH
being installed.  If a file is in both packages, it bitches as you saw.

I almost always use -U on non-kernel packages.  It's rare that I want two
versions of the same RPM installed.  Kernel RPMs are a notable exception. :-)

--[Lance]

--
 Celebrate The Circle: http://www.celebratethecircle.org/
 Carolina Spirit Quest:  http://www.carolinaspiritquest.org/