[TriLUG] Cross compiling pain

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 13:36:26 EST 2005

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 11:32:40 -0500, Brian Daniels <bitmage at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> Unfortunately, I don't have a i386-linux-gcc.  Digging around, there is a
> /usr/bin/i386-redhat-linux-gcc33, but setting CC to that causes configure to
> fail with:
>
> /tmp/ccqHJnHw.s: Assembler messages:
> /tmp/ccqHJnHw.s:17: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `push'
>
> errors when it tries to build the test program.  A 'yum provides' search for
> linux-gcc doesn't find any other versions for FC3.
>
> Grr.  Seriously stuck here.

Right, because in order to cross compile you need a *full* cross
compilation environment.  In addition to the i386 compiler, you
also need an i386 linker and an i386 assembler.  Without those
it will not work.  Oh, and besides that, you'll also need i386 libraries
to link to.  It can be done and once it's setup it's fairly easy, but
getting everything setup isn't a walk in the park.

Tanner

--
Tanner Lovelace
clubjuggler at gmail dot com