[TriLUG] Thinkpad saga

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Sun Mar 13 11:29:21 EST 2005

On Sun, 2005-03-13 at 07:45 -0500, Rick DeNatale wrote:
> Alternately, is there somewhere where I can find install cd images for
> FC3 with more recent maintenance applied, or a way to  update the
> system in a way that doesn't require it to eat the whole wad at once?

Hi Rick,

I'm not aware of any FC3 install images (ISOs) with updates.

But heres a few ideas that will help on smaller systems:

 1) Initially, install fewer packages!  For instance, leave off
    all the server items, KDE or Gnome, Open Office, etc.

 2) give yourself a larger "/var" (or "/" if not separate)
    partition since yum is going to cache the RPMs it
    downloads in /var/cache/yum

 3) after the initial "yum update", remove all the RPMs using
    from the cache with "rm -f /var/cache/yum/*/packages/*.rpm"

 4) finally, after you've updated, install things a few-at-a-time
    using "yum install $PACKAGES"

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD