[TriLUG] huge filesystems

paul ppeeler at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 13:46:16 EST 2005

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 10:37:48 -0800 (PST), Chris Bullock
<cgbullock at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I know from experience, that RHEL will support 2TB of ext3 with no
> problem, however you must partition with fdisk since RHEL will not do
> files systems that size on install.

I have had no issue thus far with 2tb or less running through fdisk,
it is this 5.3 tb fs that I'm working with now that is causing me
grief. SGI says that I need CONFIG_LBD enabled in the kernel to
support larger sizes, but that is enabled by default in the fedora 64
port that i was working with for testing.

I'm considering applying the xfs patches to the rhel4 kernel and
trying to work from there since that is my employer's preferred distro
at the moment for this particular piece of the network. However this
config will take us out of the support range that they wanted as I
will not be running the standard rh-compiled kernel.

blah.

Paul