[TriLUG] Hunting Down Large Files

Scott G. Hall ScottGHall at BellSouth.Net
Thu Mar 17 15:53:44 EST 2005

Several posters have already given you a number of suggestions.
What I would suggest also, is to throw together a quick awk or perl
script to run your favorite, parse the output, compare to a
"threshold" value, and send anything greater in an email to yourself.
Then run this each night from cron.  You could also have the script
check the df output first and only continue if less than 20% left,
then add parameters to a find command, to report only the largest
files older than a certain date.  Makes a good reminder to either
clean up or archive files.

--
Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA