[TriLUG] mythtv ramblings and a questions about december mythtv presentation

Ken Mink ken.mink at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 11:27:43 EST 2005

I just finished building a MythTV box a couple of months ago. I'm now
using it full time. I'm very happ with it and rarely switch over to my
TiVo.

I'm using a 2600 Barton processor(overkill) and 512MB RAM. I bought a
Samsung SP160N HD. The Samsung drives are QUIET. I mean I thought the
drive was DOA when I installed it because I couldn't even hear it spin
up. The motherboard is an ASUS A7N8X-VM/400. I'm using it's built-in
Geforce4 w/tv-out and it's built-in sound. I'm also using a Hauppauge
PVR-250 as a tuner.

I went with FC3 as a base and used the ATRPMS repostitory for the myth
installation. There's a great how-to for installing MythTV on FC. As
long as you read and follow it carefully, you'll have MythTV up and
running in no time.

As for your question about the PVR-250 vs 350. The 350 has it's own
tv-out capabilities. This includes a built-in mpeg decode. Both cards
have encoders. The theory is that with a 350, the card does both the
encoding and decoding and your cpu doesn't have to get involved. From
what I've read, the 350's tv-out can be a pain to configure. On the
myth-users list, I see a lot of people that have 350s, but don't use
it's output capabilities.

Good Luck,
Ken