[TriLUG] Local Time Zone won't get off UTC

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Mon Mar 21 12:46:23 EST 2005

Hey All!
   Somewhere along the way, my Debian Sarge machine got it in its little
brain (or rather, its four little brains...) that the local time zone is
UTC, and I can't get it to change.  I've tried the Adjust Date & Time
from the panel's clock applet, but after I've hit Okay, the next time I
pull it up, it's gone right back to UTC (although the drop-down remains
on EST...and yes, I am authenticating as root when doing that).  I can
tell the clock explicitly to display EST, but the problem is that
timestamps on all my e-mail in my inbox and instant message
conversations remain in UTC.  What gives, and how do I fix it? :-(

Thanks,
~Brian