[TriLUG] Re: How to get ntpd to work

Lance A. Brown lance at bearcircle.net
Mon Mar 21 15:52:26 EST 2005

Greg Cox wrote:
>>I always heard you want to pull time from one stratum 1 and
>>two stratum two servers.
>

> Be a good citizen, use lower stratums for home/general use.
>
> Asking an S1 for time instead of a lower stratum is like asking the
> UNIX SA to change an email password instead of the helpdesk.  It'll
> do it, but it's not a good use of its.. well, time.  One or two people
> doing it may be ok.   Everyone; no.

Offloading the Stratum 1 servers is part of the reason why pool.ntp.org to
started.  It really is OK to use pool.ntp.org time servers.  On the other
hand, it would be nice if ISPs like Road Runner maintained and publicized
their own NTP servers for the use of their customers.

--[Lance]

--
 Celebrate The Circle: http://www.celebratethecircle.org/
 Carolina Spirit Quest:  http://www.carolinaspiritquest.org/