[TriLUG] mythtv ramblings and a questions about december mythtvpresentation

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 14:16:42 EST 2005

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 14:08:20 -0500, Byarlay, Wayne A. <wab at purdue.edu> wrote:
> Front End / Back End? I thought one simply built a linux computer with a
> TV card, installed MythTV, and started watching movies immediately.
> What's all this about a "front end"?
>
> A modded xbox would add about 2-300 bucks to the setup, right?
>
> /confused

MythTV lets you separate the back end, or the TV recording functions,
from the front end, or the TV viewing functions.  This allows you do do
interesting things like have one big server with lots of TV capture cards
and a big disk for recording and then put a smaller viewer machine
next to each TV in the house.  The smaller front end machines will
all be able to access the recorded content from the backend machine.

Cheers,
Tanner
--
Tanner Lovelace