[TriLUG] mythtv ramblings and a questions about december mythtvpresentation

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 14:45:57 EST 2005

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 14:31:27 -0500, John Turner <jdturner at nc.rr.com> wrote:
> One note from my research into HD-MythTV. The backend recorder can be
> slow as it doesn't do anything but read/write to disks. The frontend
> Myth box has to be BIG (I was reading Intel P4 2.5G+) because it has to
> do HDTV decoding in software.  I have not tried any of this yet, but if
> you want to do HDTV it seems to require a very fast frontend machine.

Assuming the encoding is done in hardware, or, if I recall correctly, the
signal is already in mpeg/mpeg2 format, then yes, you're correct.  If
you're not doing HDTV, though, and just doing normal stuff, perhaps
with software encoding, then you do need a beefy backend.  It all
depends on where you want your major computations to be.

Cheers,
Tanner

--
Tanner Lovelace