[TriLUG] mythtv ramblings

Myrhillion lug at blackwizard.net
Tue Mar 22 15:18:17 EST 2005

Hmm..

http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/compare_pvr.html

If you folks were just looking to get a basic mythtv setup going (with
an old cpu athlon duron 800), for tv card would you go for the Hauppauge
PVR-   150, 250 or 350?
Seems the main advantage (link above) of the 350 is the mpeg decoder.

How much of an advantage is this?

Seems odd that the PVR-500 is pretty much the same price as the PVR-350
retail.
Oh, I see, PVR-500 two encoders, PVR-350 one encoder, one decoder.

I'm a bit confused about which part to get.  If I principally, want to
record and playback after, a 350(if I want hardware decoding) or 250?
If I want to record and watch tv at the same time, a 500?
If I want a remote control a non-MCE variety?