[TriLUG] mythtv ramblings

Ken Mink ken.mink at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 16:01:38 EST 2005

You seem to understand the features of the cards, so it's really your
call on what you want to spend where.

I have a single 250(older, w/remote wo/FM) and am using the built-in
svideo out on my mother board.  The processor is a 2600 and has no
problem with decoding the stream fast enough for watching. As was
mentioned earlier, the 350s do have an onboard decoder, but they can
be problematic to configure. There are a number of folks on the
mythtv-users list that threw in the towel and don't use the output
capabilities of the 350.

The drivers that support the 150 and 500 are not production ready.
There are some features that don't work yet. If you want to use one of
those cards, you'll need to check the ivtv dev list and decide for
yourself if they're features you can live without.

As far as remote controls go. There are a number of add-on IR
receivers you can get. I am currently using the remote & receiver that
came with my 250. It took no time at all to get them working.

My advice would be to remember KISS(keep it simple, stupid) for now.
Get a 250 with a remote and a cheap video card with tv out that is
supported under linux and build around them. The nice thing about
MythTV, is that you can always upgrade the hardware later. Once you're
comfortable with Myth, get a second 250 or get a 500 and sell the
original 250. Or add more tuners and start deploying frontends.

Good Luck,
Ken

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 15:18:17 -0500, Myrhillion <lug at blackwizard.net> wrote:
> Hmm..
>
> http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/compare_pvr.html
>
> If you folks were just looking to get a basic mythtv setup going (with
> an old cpu athlon duron 800), for tv card would you go for the Hauppauge
> PVR-   150, 250 or 350?
> Seems the main advantage (link above) of the 350 is the mpeg decoder.
>
> How much of an advantage is this?
>
> Seems odd that the PVR-500 is pretty much the same price as the PVR-350
> retail.
> Oh, I see, PVR-500 two encoders, PVR-350 one encoder, one decoder.
>
> I'm a bit confused about which part to get.  If I principally, want to
> record and playback after, a 350(if I want hardware decoding) or 250?
> If I want to record and watch tv at the same time, a 500?
> If I want a remote control a non-MCE variety?

<SNIP>