[TriLUG] PHP Question

David Rasch rasch at raschnet.com
Wed Mar 23 14:28:18 EST 2005

On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 02:04:07PM -0500, Mark Freeze <mfreeze at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am currently working on a site hosted on Network Solutions Advanced
> Unix platform that has php enabled and a limit of 2 mysql databases.
> I am going to be using both databases for different customers.  If
> netsol won't let me have another database, what is the best way to
> have user authentication?  My two customers will pull info from their
> respective databases, but I have 5 or 10 other customers that do
> nothing but upload files to me for processing.  Each different
> customer would need their own username/password.  They would not have
> to be able to maintain the passwords... I could set them for them.
> But, it would be nice to have a function to email them the password if
> they forgot it.
>
> Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Mark,

Just because you're limited to two databases doesn't mean you cannot
store as much data as you might need.  Each database can have any number
of tables.  This way, you can just create tables with non-conflicting
names.  I'd highly recommend using prefixes to organize your tables.
Once you've set this up, you just proceed as if the other tables weren't
there and write your custom file upload script(s).

-David