[TriLUG] htaccess

Joseph Tate dragonstrider at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 19:18:25 EST 2005

I love it when I can catch Aaron with something.  When connecting to a
password protected area, the server returns a 401 Unauthorized, which
is what causes the browser to pop up the username/password dialog.  If
after X attempts it fails (I believe that's set on the web server), it
will return a 403.  If you're doing this in PHP and send a 403, the
browser will simply show the 403 error page.  You'll need to modify
the response code to send a 401 in order to pop up that
username/password dialog.  In my previous employment incarnation, I
helped developed a system whereby you could authenticate either via
basic auth type mechanisms, or through a web form.  All authentication
was against the DB backend.

--
Joseph Tate
Personal e-mail: jtate AT dragonstrider DOT com