[TriLUG] Host Blocking, Partial Solution Found

Ron Joffe rjoffe at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 25 12:02:26 EST 2005

Hey Folks,

A couple of months ago I posted an email complaining about a number of
dictionary style attacks on my webserver. I was looking at a simple solution
to block hosts from a particular range of IP's (Outside of the US).

I have found an interesting solution that helps this cause.

http://denyhosts.sourceforge.net/

This is a nice python script which monitors log files and adds entries to the
hosts.deny file. I have had the process up for a few weeks on my webserver,
and have found it to be quite accurate.

Thought I would share this tool with others who are experiencing this annoying
dictionary style attacks.

Ron