[TriLUG] trilug mirror or ftp site on?

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 12:02:52 EST 2005

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 11:55:27 -0500, Aaron S. Joyner <aaron at joyner.ws> wrote:
> Liyun Yu wrote:
>
> > Are these sites still available to members?
> >

> >     http://mirrors.trilug.org/     ftp.trilug.org
> > ftp://ftp.trilug.org/
> >
> > I tried without success this morning - get operation timed out.
> > Thanks,
> > -- Lyun
> >

> Due to previous lack of interest, the mirrors are presently
> unavailable.  If enough clamor arises they might be brought back to
> life, but as you're the first person I've heard ask about them since
> they were taken out of service months ago, I don't foresee their return
> in the immediate future.

As Aaron says, they were taken out of service quite a while ago
(I don't remember exactly, but it was probably on the order of
8-10 months ago).  But, it wasn't quite lack of interest (which was
part of it but not the biggest thing), but rather that we don't
really have the bandwidth to be hosting mirrors.  We only have
1MB of bandwidth, which is more than enough for everything
else we do, but for mirrors, it really isn't enough, especially
when there are much better mirrors available.  For you, Liyun,
I'd suggest trying ibiblio.org since that's hosted on campus
at UNC.

Cheers,
Tanner
--