[TriLUG] When you touch it, it's STICKY...

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 12:43:01 EST 2005

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 12:36:30 -0500, James Brigman <jbrigman at nc.rr.com> wrote:
> Details, schmeetails. From the original email message:
>
> >>is there a way to set it so that every file in this folder, the
> >>var/www/html, is set to the appache group with read and execute
> >>turned on?
>
> This would already be the case for /var/www/html. And you know I didn't
> make this quote up: there's a missing "/" and "apache" is
> misspelled. :-)

Heh. :-)  The answer to your question, then, is of course,
turning on the group sticky bit and setting the parent directory
group to apache.  To make sure everything is executable you'll
need to set the umask correctly.  I believe, though, other people
have given much more eloquent descriptions of them than I have. :-)

> My greater crime was running the test case as root. I'll turn myself in
> to the Linux Filesystem Hygiene Police after I finish lunch.

Oh no!  No soup for you! ;-)

Cheers,
Tanner
--