[TriLUG] Script to Generate Standard Scripts

burnett at pobox.com burnett at pobox.com
Tue Mar 29 13:39:57 EST 2005

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005, James Brigman wrote:

> Hey folks;
>
> Several months ago, "Sys Admin" magazine had an article on a script that
> would generate script templates. The thing about this which is so nice
> is that it would ask a few questions (or you could enter command line
> values), and after running, generate a really nice ksh script
> "framework". Nice comments at the top, along with some variable or
> header definitions. It would be a fantastic resource to use for
> generating very consistent and well-commented scripts.
>
> I'm trying to implement script standards, and this script would be
> invaluable. But for the life of me, I can't find the darn article.
>
> Do any of you out there remember the article I'm talking about, and can
> you point me to which issue or where I might find it?
>
> Barring that, if any of you use a tool like this to write consistent
> scripts I'd be interested in hearing about that too.

James:

I'd looked when you initially posted this question, and didn't find the
article. Today, looking for an article on server documentation, I found
the article that I believe you were asking for in your email:

"I 'new' it - A Generator for New Shell Script Templates",
by Joseph Pietras.
SysAdmin magazine, September 2003, pp. 49-50.

regards,
Badger