[TriLUG] Midnight Commander through PuTTY

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Wed Apr 6 10:35:20 EDT 2005

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 02:08:59AM -0400, Dave Cowan wrote:
> I use PuTTY to access my fedora server here at home from my WinXP
> machine and it works great. I was playing around with Midnight Commander
> this evening for the first time using PuTTY and all the line characters
> on the screen are displayed as "a" with a circumflex. My Google search
> was not very successful in finding a solution (however, I was pleased to
> see that someone else was looking for a solution to the same
> problem...so if I am an idiot and doing something wrong...at least I am
> not a lone idiot)

Dave,

I ran into this issue with my connection, too.  In my case, it was very
mangled "thread following" characters in Mutt through PuTTY.

The solution that I found, after trying all of the settings that you
both have described, was in the "host" machine, and its concept of
character set.  In other words, the Linux box needed a small adjustment,
so that it was generating the character set that was compatible with
PuTTY.